Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Funniest Home Videos

About 3 weeks ago we converted all of our video recordings onto VHS tapes. This was no easy task as it covered 7 years and we had to record it in REAL time. We watched home videos for days.

It was fun going back and watching my kids grow up. I was kind of under the impression that they sprouted up over night. It all seems like a blur. M is seven? Seriously? When did that happen? Actually, in fact, she did not grow up overnight and neither did her sister, K. We have actual documentation to prove it.

I say it was fun to watch them, but yet a part of me was sad over the fact that those times of my girls being itty bitty are over. Even J has gotten over that tiny infant part and is on his way to growing up too quickly as well.

Another part of me was horrified. I have absolutely no idea why, but every s-i-n-g-l-e time I was going to stop taping one of the kids, I said, "Say Bye-Bye, Bye-Bye", even to a 4 month old! And the voice/accent I used is horrible. The most southern of sorts. I had no idea I sound this bad!

And yet another part of me was so tickled at that fact that I had NO idea what I was doing with a new baby (with M). We have at least a 10 minute video of T taping me bathe M in the sink when she was about 6 weeks old. I want you to know that in that entire 10 minutes I never once even touched her with a wash cloth! I just ringed the wash cloth above her and let the water hit her...never scrubbed any body part...didn't even Touch her...then I got her out of the little tub! I must have had the stinkiest baby ever. God love you M. Mommy didn't quite know what I was doing.

After the years and 3 kids, I feel like I have become a pro, but then something happens, I don't know what to do and I call my mother. I wonder why we do this? I guess I know....she's been there already. She held the exact same title and position as I do now. She's the real pro. "She'll know what to do." And she usually always does, or at the very least, makes me feel better.

Well, I get it wrong a lot of the times. I'm learning how to be a mom as they grow up. Maybe by the time they have their children, I will be able to give good advice and know exactly what to do to help them. At the very least, I can make them feel good when they think they aren't a good mom (or dad) ...and I can relate and tell them about me not giving M a real bath for the first couple of months of her life and we can laugh about it together.


*Side note: K wants to watch these videos over and over and over again....Every single day. I can tell you, Ive heard enough, "Bye-Bye's" to last me for a while!

2 comments:

BigD said...

L- I was just lying in bed thinking how I Love reading your blog but I am always too busy to comment. So..I got up to comment. I do so love reading, seeing, and listening (ur2 high tech) to your blog. I love seeing those beautiful W kiddies and how they grow and what they do and say. I so often forget to take the time to savor those sweet moments that you are putting down on this blog. You are doing a Great job. You are also inspiring me to take time to appreciate those many kisses and pinches on the neck, those active boys playing in the yard so hard, those "Mom, how do you know EVERYTHING?", and "Why do you ask so many questions?" ( they do not know that I am really very nosey!!) Thanks L- for giving me inspiration to acknowledge those times more often. As far as blogging goes...if you could convince the man upstairs to give me about 3 more hours in a day...I'd join the blogging world...until then I'll sit back and enjoy yours and let you keep inspiring me to take all the little things in and try not to sweat the small stuff! Thanks and much love always!!D

elizabeth said...

Your user name cracks me up: bigd!? You're tiny but you call yourself "bigd" !

Thanks so much for your comment. It means a lot to me that not only you are enjoying my blog and seeing my children, but you are sharing this journey with me. You are a wonderful friend and I don't tell you enough that I love you and value our friendship more than you could ever know.

Keep trucking--raising those boys, folding laundry, cooking bacon, bandaging bloody fingers....we will miss them one day, Im sure of it.

E