Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I'll kiss it and make it better

I have been a little down in the dumps lately. Nothing major, just the "blahs." I think a lot of it is hormonal, but confused that any "baby blues" would show up 4 months after delivery. With that being said, for a few days now I have just thought that nothing could cheer me up, nothing really excited me. Little did I know that all I needed was my mom and dad to "kiss it and make it all better."

Well, yesterday I had a brief conversation with my mom about my recent emotions and she gave me excellent advice. She said, "Why don't you get dressed up and make yourself look your best and go and..." "now this is where I thought she would say "Do something for yourself" Instead she said...."do something for someone else." Wow. What great advice. Parents are so wise. She also gave me a little hug, some encouraging words, and even stroked my hair a bit. Man, that felt good and did make my mood a little better.

Later that evening I had the opportunity to talk to my Dad on the phone. He has been out of town for a couple of months and so we haven't talked often. Funny how when he is in town he is no further than a mile from my home, but we don't see each other a lot....it's just something about knowing that he is there if I needed him or wanted to see him. Well, my Dad and I had a very typical conversation. We both tend to have a lot to say and we are passionate in what we believe in to say the least, so conversations are not short ever. My point is, we didn't really talk about me that much (about my "blahs") but it was just nice to talk to my Dad anyway.
I got off the phone, looked at my husband and said, "I feel better!" Just like that. My mood shifted after I got my "Parent Fix" for the day.

Perhaps it's that I am the one now kissing boo-boo's, giving the hugs, stroking the hair, and giving the pep talks. I love to do all that, but just maybe I needed a little bit of that myself yesterday. I am so thankful that I have my parents to still run to and let them "kiss it and make it better". Thanks Mom and Dad for all the wisdom, advice, but most of all the love and security you have given to me.

No comments: