Friday, May 30, 2008

Such A Clever Guy!

The other night we went out to dinner with T's parents after spending the day at their house swimming and having fun. As I was enjoying my meal, T said something funny to me and I laughed. Then, all of a sudden, I was choking. I've had several experiences where I have "had something go down the wrong way" and had a little coughing spell, but this was bad...I was having trouble breathing. I could barely inhale any air at all. T looked at me, put his hand on my shoulder, and gave me that "are you ok?" look and this is when I made a big mistake: I looked at him and shook my head "no". After several seconds of not breathing but a tiny bit of air, I finally started coughing, but it took a while before I was able to talk. When I could finally talk, I explained to everyone that I was really choking. T looked at me and said, "Then why did you shake your head 'no'?" Apparently he thought I was saying to him, "No, I don't need help. Don't get up." I explained to him that I was actually saying to him, "NO, I AM NOT OK." It is then that he made me feel really stupid...

He put his hands on his throat and said, "THIS is the universal sign for choking."

"Oh yeah," was my response.
I'm pretty sure I won't forget that next time. We also used that as an opportunity to tell our kids about it at the same time.

I sure am glad that God decided not to take me while eating a salad at a mexican restaurant and choking on lettuce! I can think of more glamourous ways to exit this world...choking isn't one of them.

No comments: