Thursday, May 22, 2008

Good Book

I just finished reading the book, THE SHACK, by William P. Young. I highly recommend this read for anyone.

I have to admit, however, this wasn't an easy read for me. I tend to be a skimmer reader, quickly reading a book. This is not one of those books. You do want to find out what happens in the end, but you have to read carefully. I even found myself having to re-read things I had just read. Also, at first, I didn't really like the story and was ready to put it down...it was kind of..well, strange. I didn't even know if I should be reading it. But as I read further, I was really interested and I'm glad I read it to the end.

The book is about a man and father who experiences a great tragedy in his life, and in dealing with this he is able to meet, confront, and talk to God. It's a really good story and incredible message. I don't want to give more away than that. If you do find yourself reading it, don't put it down if you get the same feeling I had in the beginning. Read it in it's entirety.

I'd love to hear any comments from anyone that reads it OR has already read it. What do you think about it?

3 comments:

Mom of Eleven said...

okay, I am just finishing it up, love it, but I am like you a little ?. anyway, I would love to discuss. I have not finished just yet, but probably will tonight. Only 30 or so pages. There are definitely some good paragraphs that I feel give a good picture of the trinity, what God intends for all of his children and what the cross really accomplished, but I am struggling with the understanding of the whole picture of the trinity they give.
Wendy

laurie said...

I enjoyed it, like you though it took me a while to get used to it. It definitely takes God "out of the box" to say the least. I feel like I understand the concept of the trinity much more clearly. As with anything, it has to be taken with a grain of salt and I've had to make myself not overanalyze it.

elizabeth said...

I guess my issue with the book is that people are looking to it for answers and clarification instead of the Bible. Especially those that don't already have a good spiritual foundation. I don't know....

elizabeth