Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Thank Heaven For Little Boys

From This:

To This:



I will never forget the day that my husband and I went in for our ultrasound, pregnant with our 3rd child. We were excited and anxious to learn if we would have a boy or a girl. Naturally, having 2 daughters already I really wanted a boy. Of course we would have been happy either way, either way we were blessed to be carrying a healthy baby after 2 miscarriages.

The warmed up jelly was put on my belly and the lady took a look at our growing child safe inside my womb. "Do you want to know what it is?", she asked us with a smile. I just knew she would announce the coming of our 3rd girl.
"Yes," we both answered simultaneously.

"Ok, you see that little thing that looks like a turtle head?" (What? My mind was racing, confused.) "It's a boy," she said grinning. At that first "b-" that came out of her mouth T and I both gasped and the tears came. We embraced and kissed. We were so excited. Cloud Nine.

I felt like I needed to explain myself to her somehow so I said, "I promise we would have been happy with a girl too. I mean..ugh...," the words wouldn't come.

"Happens all the time," she said. "I am really happy for you."

Just a few months later, after painting everything baby blue our baby boy arrived and I remember being so amazed that he even looked like a boy. Something about his waist, his build. It was different. Actually he has proven to be different in everything, in a way that I'm not quite sure I was prepared for.

I know you have heard many stories on here of my boy eating glass Christmas balls, mascara, toothpaste, Windex, and even Excedrin, playing in the potty, and climbing on furniture. I think that he took me by such surprise and that he is so full-throttle that my days are filled with things like these. However, they are also filled with sweet and precious moments from him....moments that make my heart melt. I love my boy, my "buddy" and I am so grateful for him.

J's birthday was this past Monday, September 28th. My boy is TWO!

To My Birthday Boy:

Here are some things about you now:
-you love to be outside.
-you love balls: footballs, baseballs, golf balls, basketballs
-you love trains, and call them "choo-choo"
-you love your new pet cat, "mow mow" and you named her/you pick her up and carry her everywhere.
-you love to run
-you love to go in the car
-you are talking up a storm and putting 2 and 3 words together.
-you like to climb. anything.
-you like to jump off things.
-you like to collect things in your pockets, like rocks or jellybeans.
-you like to laugh
-you like to be startled (like when someone says "Boo") you think it is so funny
-you like to watch Stuart Little, Thomas the Train, and Winnie the Pooh, but you won't sit for long.
-you like to try every one's food. surprisingly, in doing so, I have discovered that you like tuna salad, chicken salad and even BBQ.
-you like to smell your food before you eat it. If it doesn't smell good to you, you won't try it.
-you saying "Hi" and "Bye" to everyone you see in passing.
-you love your family
-and we love you

Just a Few of the Things that I love about you:
-your toes
-your long eyelashes
-your big smile
-the smell of you
-your adventurous spirit
-your determination
-your sense of humor
-your laugh
-your playfulness
-your energy
-your friendliness
-your spunk
-your hugs
-your kisses
-your "night-nights"

I miss your newborn stage, when I could sit and smell your head and bathe you in kisses. Those times aren't as often now, because you have so much you would rather be doing. I miss those times, but I love seeing you grow into a strong little boy too. You've certainly got me on my toes Buddy and keep me busy. It is an adventure and I am so lucky, even if I have to stop and remind myself of that on occasions. I love you with ALL my heart. I am so thankful your my son. Happy 2nd Birthday.

Love,

Mommy






2 comments:

Kristie said...

Happy B-day J! What a sweet little boy! Growing up too fast!

Victoria said...

Such a beautiful post to your son -he is so blessed to have such a loving mother!