Friday, March 6, 2009

Beat, Burned Out, Dog-tired, Done In, Drowsy...

....exhausted, overworked, over tired, petered out, played out, pooped, sleepy, spent, tuckered out, weary. (one of them alone, just didn't get the point across)

This week has been crazy and I haven't had much sleep.

Late Tuesday evening, right before I was going to get in my bed, my mother called me and told me she was ill. My mom has a rare disease, Addison's disease, and when she gets a stomach virus it can be life threatening because her body does not produce cortisone. So, I go over to her house and take her to the ER where we stayed until 3:00am. My day starts the next morning at 7:00am getting everyone ready and off for school Wednesday morning. Wednesday night I had to keep M up until 1:00 am because she was having the EEG test the following day and they said that she could get no more than 5 hours of sleep the night before. Needless to say, I was exhausted. I am serious when I say that SHE is the one that kept ME awake, not vice-versa. She said I would start snoring while sitting up and she would come over and clap her hands in front of my face. I don't know if I have EVER been that tired before.

Thursday morning the day began at 6:00 am, but thankfully my husband took that duty and let me get 2 more hours of sleep. Then all of us got ready, packed the car, and headed off for an hour drive to the doctor's office for the EEG test. We get there, despite a traffic jam and running on mere fumes of gasoline. We get back to the lady that will perform the test and she asks why we are repeating the EEG, since we had already had one here at our local hospital. I told her that I was informed that they would want to do their own, so she checked with a doctor and then came back in and told me that we didn't need to do it. Seriously? Are you kidding me? I sat up watching High School Musical 3 until 1:00 in the morning, barely coherent, all for NOTHING!?...And after having only 4 hours of sleep the night before?? Well, apparently, I did. Our next appointment is with the neurologist on the 19th of this month. At least we won't have to be sleep deprived for that visit!

We ended up making a day of it and going to the aquarium which turned out to be a good day and good time spent with the family all together.

I still feel a bit tired, not entirely caught up on my sleep and this weekend we spring forward and lose an hour! I am in desperate need of a hot bubble bath, a massage, a down pillow, comforter and about 10 hours of sleep in a dark and quiet room. I'll just keep on dreaming of that one!

1 comment:

Keri said...

Doctor's offices and labs and diagnostic centers and hospitals can be the MOST DIFFICULT THINGS IN THE WORLD to coordinate.

If only we had socialized medicine, then it would all be wonderful and perfect and rainbows and unicorns.

I hope you sleep all day Saturday.

ALL DAY!!!