Monday, April 20, 2009

My Head and Heart..All Over the Place

I'm not quite sure what my problem is, but I find myself wanting to write here on this blog often, however I can't seem to get a coherent thought much less an entire post out of me lately.

First of all, I am busy, literally covered up with work. There are so many files to process every day, along with the simple daily routines like breakfasts, , lunches, carpools, ballet practices, etc. Notice I didn't say, mop the floors, dust the furniture...that is just temporarily on hold for the moment. I NEED a Maid!

Second, and more to the root of why I am unable to process my thoughts, is that I keep hearing of bad news. The most recent of which is M's best friend's mom who was diagnosed on Easter Sunday with pancreatic cancer and apparently the prognosis is not good. She also happens to be M's assistant principal at her school. This news is devastating not only as a friend, but as a mom. I just can't imagine. My heart is breaking for the mom herself...for the husband...for the nine year old little girl who loves her mom so dearly. I have offered my assistance in helping in any way I can, but this just doesn't seem like enough.

I am trying to process all of this information, figure out a way I can help, and trying to get my words together to just explain it all to my daughter. To be honest, I am having a hard time digesting it myself, especially with this big lump in my throat and my heart aching, let alone explain it to a (almost) nine year old.

2 comments:

Keri said...

And this is why you are a good friend. You feel their pain in an intimate, personal way. There may not be a lot you can do now. But they are probably not interested in spending time cooking a meal or cleaning their house. Have some pizzas delivered. This will satisfy your urge to reach out and help in some way and meet a possible need of theirs.

Pray for them. Email them and tell them your prayers.

When my mother-in-law was fighting her cancer, she loved receiving emails from one particular friend who didn't just say "I'm praying". This friend actually typed her prayer into the email message.

Don't do what I did while my mother-in-law was dying. Don't pull away. I was afraid of facing the pain of losing her IN FRONT OF HER and actually withdrew a little. She knew I loved her, but I was unable to be there for her like I should have.

Do what your heart tells you to do. Do for her what would help you. Be her friend. Treat her like she wasn't sick.

elizabeth said...

Thanks Keri. Great advice and something I really needed to hear today. I appreciate you taking the time to encourage me so that I may help her and her family.